TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 8 °C Tuesday 25 November, 2014

Visiting restrictions remain in place at two Dublin hospitals

St Vincent’s University and Beaumont hospitals have both been affected by an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug.

St Vincent's University Hospital (File photo)
St Vincent's University Hospital (File photo)
Image: Graham Hughes/Photcall Ireland

VISITING RESTRICTIONS remain in place at two Dublin hospitals after an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug over Christmas and New Year.

Visiting restrictions remain in place at St Vincent’s University Hospital and Beaumont Hospital with both advising the public to stay away unless visits are absolutely essential.

St Vincent’s said that although 69 patients have so far been affected to date, there are just nine confirmed cases today and the number of beds being closed due to the outbreak has been reduced to 12.

Beaumont also confirmed that restrictions remain place with 41 cases where patients are displaying symptoms, ten of which have happened over the last 24 hours.

“We continue to manage the outbreak and continue to appeal to the public to stay away unless a visit really is essential and even then no more than one visit per patient,” a spokesperson said.

Both hospitals day there should be no visits from children under any circumstances.

St Vincent’s also advised that any members of the public have symptoms such as upset tummy they should not attend the hospital but contact their GP in the first instance if they have serious concerns.

On Friday, the HSE issued guidelines for anyone worried about contracting the virus saying they should wash their hands frequently and clean and disinfect any surfaces that may have been contaminated.

Read: HSE issues virus guidelines as vomiting bug outbreak continues

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (2 Comments)

Add New Comment