Darren Taylor face-planting into a shallow pool of tomato sauce during a promotion at Darling Harbour in Sydney today. (Image: Rob Griffith/AP/Press Association Images)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED:
#MISSING: A 46-year-old man has ben arrested in Wales in connection with the disappearance of 5-year-old April Jones, who has not been seen since yesterday evening. In a press conference earlier today police in Wales said they were hopeful the girl is still alive.
#DEMOLISHED: 10 two-storey premises within St Teresa’s Gardens flats complex in Dublin are to be demolished following a vote last night by Dublin City Councillors. The 10 locations form part of a 16-block complex which dates from the 1950s and were, at one point, set to benefit from large scale regeneration.
#CLERYS: Staff from Guineys and Clerys held a protest today outside Clerys on O’Connell St to express their frustration after the stores were put into liquidation. The group called on private equity group Gordon Brothers to enter into discussions with unions.
#DRUG ADDICTION: A residential drug addiction treatment centre for mothers and their young children faces closure within weeks unless it secures funding to remain open. The Coolmine Theraputic Community said it will need €100,000 to keep the centre open.
#JAMES REILLY: Fianna Fáil plans to attempt to use a little-known Dáil procedure to force James Reilly to offer an on-the-record explanation for the criteria that he used to add extra locations to the list of towns being considered for primary care centres.
#EXCHEQUER RETURNS: The latest exchequer returns published by the Department of Finance show that the tax intake is €385 million ahead of targets set by the Government. The deficit has fallen to €11 billion for the first nine months of this year compared to €26 billion in the first nine months of 2011.
THINGS WE LOVED:
- This photo of Darren Taylor, or ‘Professor Splash’ to his friends, as he dives from eight meters high into a 30 centimeters shallow pool of tomato sauce during a promotion at Darling Harbour in Sydney, Australia. Better him than us.
(Image: Rob Griffith/AP/Press Association Images)
- This delightful instruction manual from The Oatmeal on how to take INCREDIBLE photos of your friends. Or just annoy the hell out of them. It’s win win.
- It has hundreds of falling dominoes and dinosaurs in it. What’s not to love about this video?
(Uploaded by FlippyCat Domino)
THINGS WE SHARED:
- Get ready to start pulling your own hair out with frustration at this movie logo quiz from Empire. We only got 14 between us, see if you lot can do any better.
- Of all the crazy fads, this one takes the biscuit. Or should we say, the bagel. Making a bagel shape in your head after injecting saline into it is a thing now.
- To combat the Tuesday blues, let these 16 incredibly happy stingrays cheer you up with their smiles.