EVERY WEEKDAY EVENING, TheJournal.ie brings you the five stories you need to know before you head out the door.
1. #GARDAGATE: The Taoiseach has said that the practice of recording phone calls at garda stations could have implications for tribunals and court cases, prompting the President of the High Court to issue advice to judges on the matter.
2. #RIP: Fine Gael TD Nicky McFadden has been laid to rest. Delivering his homily, Father Declan Shannon said she fought Motor Neurone disease “with every fibre of her being”.
3. #DOBBO: The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has rejected seven complaints about an incident on RTÉ’s Six One News in which presenter Bryan Dobson called the Ballyhea protestors “idiots”. The authority said he “could have handled the situation in a better manner”.
4. #UKRAINE: The country’s opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko has announced plans to contest presidential elections later this year. She was convicted in October 2011 for abuse of power and sentenced to a seven-year jail term that Western nations denounced as the use of selective justice.
5. #OOPS: A plane that had reportedly crashed into the sea off the Canary Islands wasn’t a plane. It was just a boat.