This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 8 °C Saturday 23 June, 2018

John O’Shea to leave GOAL after High Court action is settled

O’Shea has announced his retirement from the charity, after an attempt by its board to remove him is settled out of court.

Image: Photocall Ireland (File)

Updated, 18:16

THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE of the humanitarian charity GOAL, John O’Shea, is to step down from his position next month, after the High Court was today told that his attempts to stop the charity’s board from removing him had been settled.

In a statement this evening O’Shea, 68, said he had decided to step down as CEO, a post he had held since founding the charity himself in 1977.

“I wish to express my profound thanks to many thousands of individuals who have helped me in my efforts to alleviate the suffering of some of the poorest people on the planet,” O’Shea said.

“Helping the downtrodden, the deprived and the destitute was an honour and a privilege.”

GOAL said it hoped to “explore opportunities to collaborate with John for the betterment of the organisation given John’s vast experience and expertise”, and thanked O’Shea for his “astonishing work and contribution to GOAL”.

“Since 1977 GOAL has delivered over $1bn in aid and emergency relief programmes to the poorest of poor in over 50 countries, saving tens of thousands of lives and improving countless others,” it said.

Trade and development minister Joe Costello paid tribute to the “exceptional humanitarian work and the leadership” O’Shea had shown, saying GOAL had made a “significant contribution to emergency humanitarian action and longer term development efforts”.

Details of the settlement reached between the sides have not been disclosed.

The Irish Times said the High Court had been informed this afternoon that the dispute between O’Shea and GOAL’s board had been settled following “lengthy discussion” between lawyers for both sides.

O’Shea had secured a temporary order against his removal earlier this month, rejecting complaints of “institutionalised bullying” within the organisation, calling them “false and concocted”.

Additional reporting by Emer McLysaght

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Gavan Reilly

Read next:


This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel