THE NATIONAL GALLERY of Ireland has said the Claude Monet painting damaged in last month’s attack at the gallery in Dublin will remain withdrawn from public viewing for the time being.
A spokeswoman for the gallery said this afternoon that the damage to the painting, ‘Argenteuil Basin with a single Sailboat’, was still being investigated by Gardaí.
While law enforcement agencies were continuing their investigations into the circumstances surrounding the damage to the painting, it would remain withdrawn from the gallery’s public collection.
The painting was damaged during an incident on June 29, after which one man was arrested and later remanded in custody after a court appearance.
The work, dating from 1874, was assessed by the gallery’s Conservation Department in the aftermath of the incident.
The gallery declined to comment this afternoon on the current status of any repair or restoration works.
The painting, bequeathed to the gallery in 1924, had been recently cleaned to help accentuate its vivid colours and brushwork.