This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 23 °C Monday 25 June, 2018
Advertisement

Final blocks of O'Devaney Gardens flats set to be torn down

New accommodation on the site will contain a mix of social housing and State-owned rental accommodation.

O'Devaney Gardens
O'Devaney Gardens
Image: RollingNews.ie

THE FINAL BLOCKS of flats on the O’Devaney Gardens site are set to be torn down, making way for a new social housing development.

A meeting of Dublin City Council last night saw a motion passed that will see the site redeveloped into fully State-owned accommodation, with final demolition taking place in three weeks’ time.

When finished, the development will house around 480 new homes.

The new development will serve as a pilot scheme for placing social housing and private rentals on the same site.

Mixed residency 

Speaking to TheJournal.ie, councillor Éilis Ryan – who brought the motion forward – said:

“It is quite similar to schemes that the government has been proposing about having a mix of income levels – but the difference is that it is 100% public.”

Ryan said that the scheme would be an alternative to subsidies for landlords scheme laid out in the government’s Rebuilding Ireland housing strategy announced earlier this month.

The affordable rental proposal contained in the government’s housing plan proposes that €10 million in funding be made available to subsidise landlords – potentially making around 2,000 rental properties available for those on low to moderate incomes.

Half of the units developed on the O’Devaney Gardens site will be used as social housing, while the other half will be rented to those with a demonstrated housing need.

Tenants would then be charged a rent tied to their income – with higher earners paying a higher rent.

Demolition 

Two of the four remaining blocks of flats are still occupied.

While Ryan said she was happy with the redevelopment plan, she was concerned that these two flat blocks will be demolished before residents have been placed in alternative accommodation available to them.

Letters of comfort have been given to the current residents to assure them that they will be able to return to the site once the redevelopment is complete.

The vote is binding – as DCC has final say over what it does with its own land – but will have to be put forward to the Department of Housing for funding to be approved.

Read: WATCH: 360° documentary lets viewers explore a soon-to-be-demolished Dublin flat complex

Also: Protesters fight ‘land giveaway’ to private developers

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (38)