This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 10 °C Monday 21 May, 2018
Advertisement

Robert Wagner a 'person of interest' in Natalie Wood death

Since 1981, mystery has surrounded her death.

Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood pictured in 1972
Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood pictured in 1972
Image: Uncredited/AP/Press Association Images

NEARLY FOUR DECADES after his wife drowned, investigators are now calling 87-year-old actor Robert Wagner a “person of interest” in the death of Natalie Wood.

Since 1981, mystery and speculation have swirled around the death of the actor, who had been nominated for three Academy Awards and appeared in West Side Story and Rebel Without a Cause.

She was on a yacht with Wagner, fellow actor Christopher Walken and the boat captain on Thanksgiving weekend in November 1981. After a night of drinking, her body was found floating in the water off California’s Catalina Island. She was 43 years old.

Investigators initially ruled it an accident but reopened the case in 2011 to see whether Wagner or anyone else played a role after the boat’s captain said he heard the couple arguing the night of her disappearance. The coroner’s office amended Wood’s death certificate the next year to include “drowning and other undetermined factors”.

‘Suspicious’

Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lieutenant John Corina told CBS News in an interview that aired today that he doesn’t believe Wagner has told the whole story about what happened during the boat trip.

“As we’ve investigated the case over the last six years, I think he’s more of a person of interest now,” Corina said. “I mean, we know now that he was the last person to be with Natalie before she disappeared.”

Asked whether he believed Wood was murdered, Cornia said: “I think it’s suspicious enough to make us think that something happened.”

After the interview aired, a sheriff’s department spokeswoman, Nicole Nishida, played down the comments, saying there is nothing new with the case.

Investigators have said Wagner has not been interviewed since the probe was reopened. They said in 2013 they had tried at least 10 times to interview him but he refused. Wagner has denied any involvement in his wife’s death and no charges have been filed. His publicist, Alan Nierob, declined to comment today.

Conflicting versions of what happened on the yacht have contributed to the mystery of her death. Wood, Wagner and Walken had all been drinking heavily in the hours before she disappeared.

Wagner wrote in a 2008 memoir that he and Walken argued that night. He wrote that Walken went to bed and he stayed up for a while, but when he went to bed, he noticed that his wife and a dinghy that had been attached to the yacht were missing.

Read: A 12-year-old girl has been arrested after a school shooting in LA

Read: FBI has ‘grave concerns’ over Trump plan to release controversial memo

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Associated Press

Read next:

COMMENTS (36)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel