THEJOURNAL.IE IS LOOKING for an experienced developer who’s passionate about building amazing products. The job is based in our Dublin office and offers a highly competitive package.
- Coding makes you happy.
- You love the idea of working in a lean, iterative-driven dev team where your decisions impact 376,000 people every day.
- You’re fluent in PHP, client side scripting, SQL and all the components needed for building modern, scalable, web applications.
- You’ve a good feeling for product design and usability.
- Fixing an obscure bug at the end of the day is pure heaven.
- 4+ years experience building web applications
TheJournal.ie is building the news company of tomorrow. We believe that we best serve the needs of our readers by marrying a world-class development team with our talented editorial team of 40+ journalists. As a result, we’re fast becoming a daily habit for the people of Ireland.
About The Job
The development team is responsible for all aspects of our mobile applications and site infrastructure, from getting the latest news into the hands of our readers, to providing our editorial teams with the best tools to break the big stories.
Areas of work include:
- Storytelling: Our journalists are always experimenting with new ways of telling stories. The dev team works closely with our editors to build a pipeline of new features that will delight our readers.
- First with the news: Milliseconds count. Our APIs, native apps, websites, push/email notifications are continuously optimised so that when a journalist breaks a story, we’re delivering (or updating) the story first.
- Big data: Understanding the habits of our readers and serving them the content that best suits their needs at any given time will enable us to meet the needs of our ever growing audience.
- Growth: Through A/B testing of layouts, text and headlines on platform and on social media we continuously optimise growth and the virality of our content.
- Integrated Advertising:TheJournal.ie has pioneered social advertising in Ireland. We enable brands to interact directly with targeted groups of readers on our platform through native content. Our dev team is responsible for building and improving the serving, targeting and reporting infrastructure for these products in conjunction with the commercial team.
About the platform
- A fast, RESTful, API written in PHP. This API powers all of our platforms, from iOS to Android, and Desktop and Mobile websites.
- Native apps on both iOS and Android that ensure a fast reading experience.
- A lightweight website that can scale easily to meet the demands of the modern news cycle.
- Running in AWS (EC2, RDS, Cloudsearch, S3, DynamoDB)
- Our content management system is a customised version of the familiar Wordpress platform. We’ve extended it with many new features that bring greater power to our writers.
- And much more, from adaptive image APIs to NoSQL data collection stores for analytics and cohort analysis.
Let’s get to know each other
If this sounds like it could be the job for you, why not come in to chat about our upcoming projects or even spend a day coding with us to get to know what we’re like and what we’re building.
If you’re interested, send your CV, a cover email, and links to any open source code you’ve written to firstname.lastname@example.org