This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Wednesday 11 December, 2019
Advertisement

Apple faces ebook trial in July after US judge denies bid to postpone it

Apple will now face a trial in July after it was accused of conspiring with publishers to raise ebook prices and impede competitors like Amazon.

The Apple Store on Regent Street in London recently marked Earth Day by turning its logo green.
The Apple Store on Regent Street in London recently marked Earth Day by turning its logo green.
Image: Yui Mok/Press Association Images

APPLE WAS DENIED a bid to hold off a trial in a case which accuses the company of conspiring with five major publishers to fix ebook prices.

The US federal judge Denise Cote said the trial, which is to be held on 14th July, had already been postponed once and should go forward.

According to Reuters, this paves the way for more than two dozen states in the US to pursue hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.

The trail to assign damages was supposed to be held in May, but it was pushed back by two months to allow adequate time for class notification, Cote’s order said.

After a non-jury trial, Apple was found to be conspiring with major publishers from 2009 to 2010 to raise ebook prices and hinder competitors like Amazon. It had tried blocking an antitrust monitor appointed by the US Justice Department to ensure it didn’t fix ebook prices back in January, but was denied.

Meanwhile, the month-long case between Apple and Samsung continues with it being revealed Google offered to help cover Samsung’s costs.

In a testimony on Wednesday, Apple’s lawyers showed a video in which a Google patent lawyer described terms of the company’s agreement with Samsung, immediately after Apple’s lawyer read aloud a statement from Samsung saying it wasn’t seeking compensation from any third party.

While Google isn’t directly involved in the case, a lawyer from Samsung described the case in his opening argument as an “attack on Android.” The company has called several of Google’s engineers to testify on Samsung’s behalf, saying that some of the technology Apple is disputing over was already created before the iPhone launched.

Read: Dizzying figures alert!: In 2014 Apple have sold 43.7 million iPhones and made $10.2bn profit >

Read: Facebook’s plan for its mobile apps: grow userbase now, make money later >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Quinton O'Reilly

Read next:

COMMENTS (6)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel