EVERY DAY, TheJournal.ie brings you nine things you need to know with your morning cup of coffee.
1. #CRECHES: An analysis of the creche reports published so far by the HSE has revealed that staff in almost half of the creches inspected in the last 12 months had not been garda vetted, the Irish Examiner reports.
2. #COLLEGE: The deadline for the acceptance of first round CAO offers is 5.15pm this evening. Figures released last week showed that arts and social science courses were the most popular with nearly 17,000 applicants to those courses in various educational institutions.
3. #MURDER: Dean Johnson, the 21-year-old who was shot dead in Dublin over the weekend, was not the intended target of the shooting, the Irish Daily Mirror reports. The man’s mother told the paper that the alleged target of the attack called the family to apologise.
4. #SMOKING BAN: Unemployed people are smoking less now than before the smoking ban according to an ESRI working paper. The workplace ban has had little effect on those in employment with the report finding that people were undeterred by it.
5. #ASYLUM-SEEKERS: The lack of information on deaths of asylum-seekers in direct provision accommodation, and in particular on suicides, has been described as “shambolic”. Minster Alan Shatter has said that the agency responsible for the hostels does not have access to death certificates.
6. #EXPENSES: The Taoiseach’s department spend more than €50,000 on foreign air travel in the first six months of 2013, The Irish Times reports. Almost €20,000 of this was for flights connected to the EU presidency.
7. #EQUAL REPRESENTATION: Just ten per cent of top positions in local authorities are held by women, according to the Irish Independent. A survey has also shown that at least ten councils have no women employed at managerial level.
8. #SYRIA: UN experts are preparing to investigate a suspected Syrian chemical attack today with Washington suggesting that the probe is already too late. Syrian President Assad has warned the US against attacking the country, arguing that its previous military campaigns have always fallen short.
9. #MEXICO: A cargo train carrying migrants bound for the US derailed today in Mexico, killing at least six people and injuring several more, AFP reports. The train, known as ‘The Beast’ careened off the track in a swampy area , with eight freight cars derailing.
- Over on DailyEdge.ie: Miley Cyrus rubbed her arse on Robin Thicke, and Niall Horan sat behind Rihanna… it’s The Dredge VMA special>