Every morning, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories you need to know a little before 9am.
1. #FLIGHT MH17 Ukraine rebels have guaranteed investigators access to the MH17 Malaysia Airlines crash site. Ukraine and Russia continue to argue over who is to blame for the shooting down of the plane. 298 people died in the crash.
2. #CONFLICT Nineteen people, including an Israeli soldier, were killed overnight in Gaza. Israel began a ground offensive into Gaza last night, which saw the death toll in the recent conflict rise to 260.
3. #BODY FOUND Gardaí are investigating after the body of a man was found in Rathfarnham yesterday. It is believed that the man, who was found by his father, may have been stabbed.
4. #OBESITY Obesity in Ireland is on the increase – now four out of five over-50s in Ireland are overweight or obese. A new report says that this is placing a serious burden on Ireland’s health services.
5. #MARGARETTA D’ARCY Anti-war activist Margaretta D’Arcy (80) is due to be released from Limerick Prison later this morning. She was jailed last year for refusing to sign a bond saying she would not enter unauthorised zones at Shannon Airport.
6. #MADIBA Events have been arranged around the world for the first Mandela Day since Nelson Mandela died. The day was first set up five years ago to mark the leader’s birthday, and is celebrated in 126 countries.
7. #GARTH BROOKS The saga isn’t over: Garth Brooks will be on the agenda today when an Oireachtas committee quizzes Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan. He will be given the chance to respond to ‘evidence’ that the committee received about the cancelled Croke Park gigs at previous sittings.
8. #WEATHER Looked out the window yet? There’s bad weather over parts of the country today, with thunder and lightning in the east. The good news is that it will clear as the day goes on.
9. #HIV The death rates for HIV-positive adults have halved over the past decade, the Lancet reports. The research looked at 50,000 adults who were receiving antiretroviral therapy.