NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- Storm Gertrude is giving way to a period of snow and ice. The storm had battered the country throughout the day: a well-known tourist attraction took a hammering in Northern Ireland, while in Dublin the storm dropped a tree on a parked car.
- The body of a man recovered from a slurry pit in the Whitechurch area of Co Cork has been identified as missing 31-year-old Diarmuid Twomey.
- Social care minister Kathleen Lynch issued a statement addressing allegations of physical and sexual abuse at a state-backed foster home.
- A paramedic has been punched in the face after attending a house call in Co Meath.
- Former justice minister Alan Shatter is to table a Dáil motion calling for the immediate release of Ibrahim Halawa.
- Gardaí renewed their appeal for the public’s help in finding missing 59-year-old woman Christina Lavin.
A man who wrote graffiti saying “Pakis out now” on a chip shop wall has been spared a prison sentence.
- A woman was arrested at Dublin Airport after ingesting 100 pellets of cocaine.
- Four people with swine flu have been admitted to hospital in Wexford.
- A man remains in critical condition after being attacked with an iron bar in Cork.
- Lucinda Creighton and Stephen Donnelly went head to head in a TheJournal.ie high table debate.
- A man arrested over a fatal stabbing in Carlow was released without charge.
#DANIEL PELKA: Mariusz Krezolek, the stepfather of Daniel who was convicted of murdering the four-year-old, has been found dead in his prison cell.
#DENMARK: A teenage girl who stabbed her mother after “watching Isis videos” is to spend nine years in jail.
#LONDON: Mystery abounds regarding a flight out of the English capital that was forced to return when crew and passengers became sick.
#TRUMP: The inimitable Republican front-runner effectively won last night’s final GOP debate – without even being there.
#STEVEN AVERY: Hundreds were expected at a protest in support of the Making a Murderer accused.
- The humble keyboard has been usurped by the mechanical variety. And it’s likely to be with you for years if you buy one. Here’s all you need to know… [Geek]
- There’s a coming holographic cinema revolution. Why watch a film when you can be in it? [Engadget]
Donald Trump with a cockney accent channeling his inner Ray Winstone. It’s a bit… unnerving.
Unfortunately it isn’t the real Trump, but the work of comic Peter Serafinowicz.
It’s still great though:Source: Peter Serafinowicz/YouTube