‘AUGMENTED REALITY’ WILL be a feature of the new Irish Rail app – and will help you find a train station near to you.
The free app, which is available now from the Apple and Android app stores, was launched by the Minister of State with Special Responsibility for Public and Commuter Transport, Alan Kelly TD.
Irish Rail’s new official app will provide customers with:
- Real-time train information including remaining time to departure, and service delays
- Journey planner
- Nearby station finder based on current location including camera-based augmented reality feature
- Details of intermediate stations and any changes en route
- Compact display of route alternatives, including door-to-door navigation and walking distances
- “Favourite” function for destinations and routes including auto-history for past queries
- Re-entry on last screen when leaving or re-starting the application
Chief Executive of Iarnród Éireann, David Franks said he believes that this app will vastly improve customer experience for existing customers and make train travel even more attractive to those who may have previously been non-users.
Minister Kelly TD said:
We are always looking to embrace new technology to enhance the customer experience. Apps such as these will make public transport more attractive. In Ireland we have some of the highest rates of mobile phone and smartphone ownership in the world and this will bring travel information direct to people’s phones.
The Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail official app is available free at Apple app store and Android App store.