uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 7 °C Friday 23 March, 2018

IT'S OFF: 'Love Ulster' parade is no longer going ahead

This comes after discussions today at the Department of Justice.

Image: Graham Hughes/Photocall

THE ‘LOVE ULSTER’ parade that had been planned for later this month is no longer set to go ahead.

This comes after a meeting between organiser and leader of group Families Acting for Innocent Victims (FAIR), Willie Frazer, and representatives from the Department of Justice.

Speaking to, Frazer said that the meeting, which took place earlier today, lasted around two hours and resulted in an agreement being reached on the handing over of certain information relating to the 1976 IRA Kingsmill massacre.


Speaking late last month, Frazer had said that the parade was set to go ahead and would see a couple of hundred people marching through the centre of Dublin.

There were fears that the violence that happened when the parade took place in 2006 – when 14 people were injured and €50,000 worth of damaged cause – would be repeated.


The Department of Justice said that the discussions had been focused on the victims and that they were productive.

Frazer stated that he was happy with the outcome of the discussions but that if the Irish government reneged on their agreement, “there would be no more talks”.

“For a change it seems to be a sensible outcome, usually in these cases people stick to their guns – but they are prepared to fulfil their commitment,” he said.

Read: ‘All systems go’: Willie Frazer says several hundred will attend Dublin loyalist march

Also: Gardaí met with Willie Frazer over his plans to march in Dublin

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

Read next: