TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 0 °C Wednesday 26 November, 2014

No Irish nationals reported injured in New Zealand earthquake

Although details are still emerging about the earthquake, there have been no reports as yet of any Irish people being caught up in the disaster.

NO IRISH NATIONALS have been reported missing or injured as yet following a 6.3 magnitude earthquake striking Christchurch, New Zealand, earlier today.

The Irish Honorary Council General in New Zealand, Rodney Walsh, told TheJournal.ie that there had been no reports of either Irish nationals living in the community or tourists being hurt in the earthquake.

Walsh said that there were a “couple of hundred” people stuck in collapsed buildings in the city and that emergency workers would continue in attempts to reach them throughout the night. So far, 65 people have been confirmed dead.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that details were still emerging but that at the moment there were no reports of any Irish people being caught up in the earthquake.

The DFA are liaising with their Honorary Council General in New Zealand and the Irish embassy in Australia and said that anyone with concerns about relatives in Christchurch should call the helpline on 01 478 0822 or register their details online.

View a map showing the energy releases and aftershocks of the earthquake here.

Additional reporting by Hugh O’Connell and Susan Ryan

Read: 65 people killed as 6.3 magnitude earthquake strikes New Zealand >

No Irish nationals reported injured in New Zealand earthquake
1 / 2
  • Cathedral in Christchurch

  • Cathedral in Christchurch

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Add New Comment