Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFUL GARETH Sheridan, a millionaire most people in the country had not heard of before this week, kick-started his campaign today with a jaw-dropping accusation.
Sheridan held the first press conference of his presidential campaign in Dublin’s Shelbourne Hotel this morning and chose to open it by claiming that there has been a coordinated attack on his character.
He claimed that this attack came from people associated with Seán Gallagher, the businessman and former Dragon’s Den star who came second in the 2011 presidential election.
The Journal put Sheridan’s claims about Gallagher today to a spokesperson for Seán Gallagher, but has not received a response. So far, Gallagher has chosen not to comment on his relationship with Sheridan or on his departure from Nutriband.
Addressing his past business relationship with Gallagher, Sheridan mused at the outset of his press conference today: “Perhaps somebody is taking our breakup a little bit worse than me”.
Speaking directly to the journalists gathered in the Shelbourne Hotel in Dublin for his launch, Sheridan said the coverage they have given of his campaign so far has been “commendable”.
He continued: “But, just one thing I wanted to bring to your attention is that there seems to be somewhat of a coordinated attack taking place on my character by people associated and in Seán Gallagher’s circle.”
He quickly followed this up by adding: “Now, I’m not saying for a moment that Seán is behind this or involved in any way.
“At MacGill [Summer School] a couple of weeks ago he actually encouraged participation, asked the media to be nice to candidates that were brave to come forward and actually put their name in the ring.
“But some of you in the room know what I’m talking about. That’s all I’ll say about that.”
So what the hell has gone on between the pair to merit such a statement from Sheridan at the outset of his campaign?
How do Sheridan and Gallagher know each other?
Sheridan, the 35-year-old multi-millionaire, is the founder and former CEO of US-based pharma company Nutriband.
Seán Gallagher became chairman of the firm in 2018 and departed four years later in 2022.
Asked about their relationship during a radio interview on Monday, Sheridan said he had not been in contact with Gallagher to get any advice about running for office.
What do we know about Gallagher leaving the company?
Sheridan and his company, Nutriband, only really gained mainstream recognition in Ireland earlier this week when he announced his bid for the Áras.
Since then, journalists have been looking into the presidential hopeful, and there have been numerous reports on both him personally and on his company.
Some of these related to Gallagher’s departure from the company.
On Tuesday, there were reports of “mystery” surrounding his exit, but by Wednesday morning, the Irish Independent had reported that Gallagher had left the company’s board over a row related to a $180,000 corporate box.
According to the report, Gallagher raised concerns about the box at the Orlando Magic basketball arena, and in a statement to the Irish Independent, Sheridan insisted that the box makes a “great return”.
The statement from Sheridan further explained that communication broke down between the company and Gallagher in 2022, ahead of his resignation.
What was the breakdown in communication about?
Sheridan used his press conference today to shed some further light on this breakdown and on the pair’s relationship.
He explained that ahead of Nutriband being listed publicly on the stock exchange in 2021, it had received advice that it would be better to have a chairperson with capital markets experience.
“We proposed this to Seán. We asked him to voluntarily step aside on the same remuneration,” Sheridan said.
He then explained that Gallagher was not agreeable to this, communication broke down, and a new chairperson was voted in by a majority of shareholders.
“I wish Seán nothing but the best in whatever he’s working on now. I’d just like to be very upfront and make sure that you’re aware of the situation that we’re facing. Perhaps somebody is taking our break-up a little bit worse than me,” Sheridan said.
Sheridan has not yet formally received a nomination to run in this year’s presidential election.
To date, Catherine Connolly is the only candidate formally in the race following the unexpected withdrawal today of Fine Gael’s Mairead McGuinness.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say