Chuck Aoke of United States lies on the floor after being upended by Shin Nakazato, No 11 in white top, during their bronze medal wheelchair rugby match at the 2012 Paralympics games in London today. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth)
HERE ARE THE things you need to know as we round off the day in three easy steps.
THINGS WE LEARNED
#CROKE PARK: The Croke Park Agreement was generating plenty of talk today with Transport Minister Leo Varadkar saying it is mere months before the agreement on public sector pay and reform needs to be discussed again. By contrast, his government colleague, Joe Costello, says the controversial agreement is the ‘most successful social contrast in the history of the State’.
#ALAN RYAN: The events at the funeral of Real IRA member Alan Ryan in Dublin yesterday have led to Justice Minister Alan Shatter issuing a strongly-worded condemnation of the paramilitary-style uniforms on show. Gardaí say they are investigating the shots fired at the funeral in north Dublin.
#ALPS SHOOTING: As mystery continues to surround the shooting of a British family in France last Wednesday, the seven-year-old girl seriously injured in the incident has woken from a coma while her four-year-old sister has returned to Britain.
#CORK: The death of two men in Kinsale in Cork is being investigated by Gardaí. The two men in their 20s were found dead at a house in the town early this morning. RTÉ reports that it is suspected the two men may have died of a drugs overdose.
#DUBLIN: Three people are being questioned in relation to the discovery of the body of a man in his 50s in Prussia Street in Dublin yesterday afternoon. The man had been stabbed and the body had been kept at the location for a number of days.
#GAA: A thrilling All-Ireland Senior Hurling Final ended in a draw between Galway and Kilkenny at Croke Park today which means the sides will have to do it all again at the end of the month.
THINGS WE LOVED
- This excellent concept video of what the iPhone 5 could like is a little far-fetched but who knows maybe someday we’ll see some of these amazing features.
- This video of actor Sean Connery and football boss Alex Ferguson interrupting an tennis star Andy Murray press conference in the US last night is a good one. Murray was more than little confused by the whole affair but the transcript is priceless.
- This banner reprising the famous ‘Angela Merkel Thinks We’re At Work’ from Euro 2012 but with a Galway spin as fans made their way to Dublin today:
Picture via MaireT (@MaireTNC)
THINGS WE SHARED
- These 23 stunning photos of Ireland in its very best light are pretty heart-warming but unfortunately we can’t guarantee the blue skies that you will see in most of them.
- This is a bit old but we do quite like this Google video advertising the capabilities of its Chrome browser and its abilities to win back the girl. No guarantee it works, mind you: