NEED TO CATCH up? TheJournal.ie brings you a round-up of today’s news.
- A woman was killed this morning in a car crash that saw four others injured and involved an off-duty garda.
- Following a week focusing on the use of the Special Criminal Court, Fine Gael have seen their poll numbers drop by two points while Sinn Féin’s have seen their figures go up by the same amount.
- A Sinn Féin election candidate has been caught out after a typo accidentally listed her as a councillor on her election literature.
- There is a strong gardaí presence on the streets of Dublin this evening in the wake of gangland violence.
- A 19-year-old has appeared before the Centre Criminal Court in Dublin after being charged in connection with a cash-in-transit robbery.
- Gardaí have appealed for information about missing 21-year-old Kieran Walsh.
- Gardaí in Cork have seized cannabis worth €126,000.
- The student journalist behind the UCD ‘revenge porn’ story has defended it after an investigation found it to be based on “hearsay”.
- Sinn Féin’s Mary Lou McDonald was made to face down some “really stupid questions” about Thomas ‘Slab’ Murphy earlier today.
#UNITED KINGDOM: English police have said that they have arrested a teenager on hacking charges.
#UNITED STATES: A campaign ad for Ted Cruz has been pulled after it was revealed that it featured a softcore porn actress.
#RUSSIA: The country has said that a ‘new cold war’ could be on the horizon after facing accusations of bombing civilians in Syria.
- A Lego-based innovation means that children are now able to customise their prosthetic arms.
- In case you missed it, setting your iPhone or iPad back to 1 January 1970 can cause it to get permanently stuck when trying to boot back up. [The Guardian]
Looking forward to Valentine’s Day tomorrow? Regardless if you are or not, you will be able to appreciate the fact that Victorians used to mark the occasion by sending cards slagging each other off. Buzzfeed has a rundown of them. [Buzzfeed]