This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 19 °C Tuesday 23 July, 2019
Advertisement

The 2016 ministers look surprisingly happy about their visit to a graffiti-filled room

Work is finally under way at the 1916 Moore Street centre – but it won’t be ready in time for next Easter.

moore1 Ministers Heather Humphreys and Aodhán Ó Ríordáin at number 16 Moore Street today. Source: MARK_MAXWELL

THE TWO MINISTERS heading up the State’s 1916 centenary celebrations paid a visit to the site of a planned new commemorative centre on Moore Street in Dublin today.

Work has now commenced at the National Monument site at 14-17 Moore Street, where the decision to surrender to British forces was made.

The row of houses was declared a National Monument in 2007 – but the question of what should be done with the site was the subject of fierce debate for years with plans suffering a number of setbacks.

The government finally stepped in and acquired the site in March of this year. However, ministers have conceded that work on the commemorative centre won’t be finished in time for the 2016 celebrations next spring. It had been hoped the project could be completed before the main programme of centenary events.

“It’s expected the restoration project will be completed in the centenary year,” arts and heritage minister Heather Humphreys said in a statement.

“I am conscious that there will be considerable interest in Moore St next year, so it is planned to allow access to the site for a commemorative event during April 2016, to coincide with Ireland 2016, the official State programme to mark the centenary of the Rising.”

Officials hope access to the site may be possible around Easter weekend next year, when the main commemorative parade will take place – however, the agreed plan is to allow access at the end of April to mark the anniversary of the surrender.

“The Moore St Commemorative Centre will be just a few minutes’ walk from the new major visitor centre being developed at the GPO,” Humphreys noted.

“It will be a fantastic addition to Dublin’s historical map, and should attract considerable visitor numbers.”

She added:

“The conservation work will reveal the period architectural detail, the living conditions and, above all, the imprint of the insurgency. The primary focus of the work is to reveal the buildings as they were during the Rising, allowing them to illuminate that period in our history.”

Relatives are being consulted regarding ongoing work on the centre, the minister said.

“I have also met with representatives of the Moore Street Traders, who are in favour of the development and who we will continue to work with in the months ahead.”

Read: Why are councillors getting so worked up about the 1916 site at Moore Street?

Read: The government is going to buy the historic Moore Street site

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (33)