This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 17 °C Saturday 21 September, 2019
Advertisement

That 2016 video everyone hated has been obliterated from the face of the planet

Well, almost.

THE GOVERNMENT’S OFFICIAL launch of its 2016 programme had a tortured launch last week.

First, there was a row with some of the 1916 relatives. 

Later, it emerged some of the language used on the official Ireland 2016 website had been derived via Google Translate.

And then, of course, there was the controversy over the launch video, which including cameos from the likes of the Queen and David Cameron, but made no mention whatsoever of the signatories of the Proclamation.

“Embarrassing unhistorical sh*,” was how Diarmaid Ferriter, the UCD historian and 2016 Government advisor described it.

While yesterday, the Taoiseach also came under attack on the issue in the Dáil from Gerry Adams.

In the midst of all that criticism, Arts Minister Heather Humphreys — who’s heading up the 2016 plan — had the official website quietly taken down at the weekend.

It wouldn’t be back up until all “outstanding issues” had been dealt with, a spokesperson for the Minister told us earlier this week.

Well, it’s back now… and it appears that at least some of the opprobrium expressed in recent days has been taken on board.

Not only is there no trace of the contentious footage within the revamped design of Ireland.ie.

The 90 second clip has also been wiped from host site Vimeo.

This is what you’ll see if happened to have bookmarked the link from the official site last week…

That link was also embedded into a number of TheJournal.ie articles — but this is what they look like now…

“The video was used as a backdrop the launch,” Humphreys told reporters at an event in Dublin this afternoon.

“There’ll be other videos and there’ll be other different productions that will go up on the website.”

On the controversy, the Minister added:

I think what’s important here is that the video actually got people engaged and got people talking — and that’s what I want about these commemorations, I want people to get engaged.

Luckily for anyone who really loved the clip — it’s still visible for all to see on Youtube, thanks to this forward-thinking uploader…

Source: exteriority/YouTube

You’re welcome, internet.

First posted at 3.20pm

Read: Protester removed from 1916 event after she called Enda Kenny the C-word

Read: Relatives boycott launch of 1916 commemorations, calling it a ‘political stunt’

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (59)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel