We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Air accident

One man dead in Waterford air crash

The Irish Coastguard helicopter Rescue 117 attended the scene.

Updated 07.15am

A MAN HAS been killed in an air accident in Waterford.

Emergency services attended the scene of the light aircraft accident which occurred near Dungarvan shortly before 7pm last night.

The aircraft crashed near Clonea Upper close to Clonea beach. The man was the sole occupant of the plane.

The Irish Coastguard helicopter Rescue 117 and the fire service assisted at the scene.

It’s believed Shannon Air Control received a mayday call from the aircraft.

The man was the sole occupant of the aircraft. It is believed he left Waterford on route to Shannon via Ardmore. It’s believed the pilot reported the plane was experiencing elevator problems before crashing.

The plane caught fire at the scene.

It’s believed the aircraft was going to the Foynes Air Show which is being held in Limerick today.

An investigation is now underway by the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU).

A statement to from the Irish Aviation Authority confirmed that a light aircraft was involved in an accident.

We understand that the emergency services are attending the scene. As this incident is likely to be investigated by the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.

In a statement issued yesterday evening Foynes Air Show Director Gerry Humphreys said:

 The pilot had taken off from Waterford and was on transit to Shannon Airport when a technical issue occurred. The aircraft crashed as the pilot was attempting to return to Waterford Airport. He was fatally injured in the crash.

The organisers would like to express their deepest condolences to the pilot’s family who have requested that we proceed with the Air Show.  We have decided to proceed with the show and dedicate the event to our colleague’s memory.

First published 19.40pm 25 July 2015

Your Voice
Readers Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.