Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 11°C Wednesday 17 August 2022
Advertisement

Alice Munro declines Nobel awards invite due to poor health

The winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature is due to pick up a prize of US $1.2 million.

Canadian author Alice Munro, pictured in 2009.
Canadian author Alice Munro, pictured in 2009.
Image: Chris Young/The Canadian Press/PA Images

AUTHOR ALICE MUNRO will not be travelling to Stockholm to pick up her Nobel Prize.

The 82-year-old Canadian native can’t make the journey due to poor health, the Academy secretary said today.

It is not known yet who will represent her at the awards ceremony, which will take place on 10 December.

When Munro was named the winner of the prestigious award earlier this month, the official Twitter page for the Nobel Prize said that they had been trying to get hold of her by phone, but hadn’t succeeded.

In the end, they left her a phone message.

The writer – whose body of work is chiefly made up of short stories – is due to collect a prize of US $1.2 million from the Swedish Academy.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

A story by Munro from 1999 is printed in this week’s New Yorker – and is also available to read on its website.

- Additional reporting Associated Press

Read: Canadian Alice Munro wins Nobel Prize, doesn’t answer her phone>

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)