This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 9 °C Sunday 20 October, 2019
Advertisement

Bandon to get 100-year flood protection

A €10 million scheme for the Cork town was revealed yesterday.

Image: seanmcgrth via YouTube

THE CORK TOWN of Bandon is to be provided with 100-year flood protection through a major new scheme.

Minister of State Brian Hayes who has a special responsibility for the Office of Public Works (OPW) revealed the €10 million programme at Bandon Town Hall yesterday afternoon.

The Cork town has a long history of flooding and many businesses and homes were destroyed in November 2009 after the river Bandon burst its banks, causing millions of euro in damages.

New walls and embankments are planned which will provide protection to about 150 home and 200 commercial properties. Hayes said the million-euro scheme “provides a solution to the ongoing flooding concerns” for the people in the town and surrounding area.

Proposals also include the excavation of the channel for 3.5km. Such dredging was first mooted in a 2010 independent flood risk report but it is only suitable in certain areas.

The existing footbridge will also be replaced and other bridges, including the Bandon Bridge, will be underpinned. The provision of a rock ramp for fish passage and works to the drainage system, including new pump stations, have also been included in plans.

The €10 million investment comes from an overall commitment of €45 million made by the Government to improve the level of flood risk protection for homes, businesses and infrastructure.

The junior minister said the coalition recognises the “serious personal and economic impact of flooding”.

Members of the OPW’s design team and environmental consultants will be at Bandon Town Hall on three separate occasions in the coming weeks to answer any questions that people may have about the scheme. They will hold office hours (10am to 5pm) on 20 and 27 June and late hours (2-8pm) on 3 July.

Some of the images from the Bandon flood of November 2009:

(YouTube Credit: seanmcgrth)

Last week: Flash flooding in Cork after 30 minute “scary” downpour>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (11)