Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Friday 2 June 2023 Dublin: 11°C
Santi Palacios/AP People standing next to candles and flowers placed on the ground after the terror attack.
# las ramblas
Police make arrest linked to Las Ramblas terrorist attack
In August a group of jihadists, many of them of Moroccan origin, killed 16 people in two attacks using vehicles and knives.

SPANISH POLICE HAVE arrested a Moroccan man suspected of cooperating with a cell that carried out the attacks that killed 16 people in Barcelona and a nearby seaside resort last month, Spain’s interior minister has said.

The man, who lives in Spain, was detained in the eastern town of Castellon, Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said in a Twitter message without providing further details.

In August a group of jihadists, many of them of Moroccan origin, killed 16 people in two attacks using vehicles and knives in Barcelona and the seaside resort of Cambrils in northeastern Spain.

The main attack happened during the day on the popular tourist district of Las Ramblas in the city.

The main suspects in the attacks, claimed by the Islamic State group, were of Moroccan origin, but most had lived in Spain for several years.

Police shot dead six of the suspected members of the cell that carried out the attacks and arrested another four. Two other suspects died in an explosion at a house used by the plotters at Alcanar, southwest of Barcelona.

© – AFP 2017

Read: Spain’s terror cell managed to avoid detection by going dark and relying on family

Read: Four Spain terror attacks suspects to go before judge today

Your Voice
Readers Comments
12
This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
Leave a Comment

    Leave a commentcancel