This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Sunday 24 March, 2019
Advertisement

Man sentenced to six years for firearms and terrorist-related offences in Belfast

In September 2010, detectives incovered large quantity of firearms and ammunition from a workshop at the rear of the man’s home.

Police officers outside Belfast Crown Court
Police officers outside Belfast Crown Court
Image: Paul Fatih/PA Archive

A 56-YEAR-OLD man from Newry has been given a six and a half year sentence today for firearms and terrorist-related offences.

The sentence was handed down to Bryan Christopher McManus, who had previously pleaded guilty at Belfast Crown Court to six charges four firearms-related and two terrorist-related charges. One of these was a plea of guilty to a terrorist fund-raising charge.

In September 2010, detectives from the Serious Crime Branch uncovered a large quantity of firearms and ammunition from a workshop at the rear of McManus’ home. This was a large scale munitions factory thought to have been manufacturing and modifying component parts for firearms since 2008 on behalf of dissident republican terrorists.

Today Detective Superintendent Glenn Wright, from Serious Crime Branch, said the seizure of these weapons “undoubtedly prevented the commission of serious offences”.

“I commend the courage and professionalism of my colleagues in this investigation,” he said. “Their actions have made Northern Ireland a safer place.”

McManus will be jailed for three years and three months and put on licence for a further three years and three months.

Read: Security alert in Belfast declared an ‘elaborate hoax’>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (2)

    Trending Tags