AP Photo/Altaf Qadri

Struggling BlackBerry sold for $4.7 billion

The move comes three days after BlackBerry announced it was laying off 40 per cent of its workforce.

BLACKBERRY HAS ANNOUNCED it agreed to a $4.7 billion (€3.5 billion)  buyout by a consortium of investors who plan to take the struggling Canadian smartphone maker private.

The company said in a statement that it has “signed a letter of intent agreement under which a consortium to be led by Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited has offered to acquire the company subject to due diligence.”

Fairfax, a Canadian firm, is already BlackBerry’s largest shareholder with approximately 10 per cent of its shares.

Under the proposed deal the consortium would offer $9 (€6.70) for each outstanding share, and Fairfax would contribute its own shares in the transaction.

BlackBerry said its board of directors said support the plan.

A firm deal, once due diligence is completed, is expected to be announced by November 4. It hinges also on the consortium obtaining financing.

BlackBerry said it would continue a search for a possibly better suitor in the interim.

On Friday, the company announced it was laying off 40 per cent of its workforce after a dismal launch of new smartphones earlier this year.

- © AFP, 2013

Long-overdue Blackberry makeover to be unveiled >

“We can’t do everything ourselves”: Blackberry to focus on corporate customers >

Author
View 21 comments
Close
21 Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds