#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Monday 21 June 2021
Advertisement

Bob Dylan finally breaks silence on Nobel Prize award

The 75-year-old is the first songwriter to win the prestigious award.

Image: PA Wire/PA Images

LAST WEEK, THE Nobel Prize panel said it had given up trying to reach Bob Dylan to let him know he had been awarded the Prize for Literature.

Now Dylan has finally broken his silence, telling The Telegraph he will attend the award ceremony “if it’s at all possible”.

The 75-year-old is the first songwriter to win the prestigious award. After the win, Sara Danils, permanent Secretary of the Swedish Academy called Dylan a “great sampler”.

“He is a great poet in the grand English poetic tradition.”

However the academy admitted last week it was having trouble reaching Dylan, and did not know whether he would attend the ceremony. The songwriter himself had remained silent on the award.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Dylan said it was “hard to believe”, describing it as “amazing, incredible”.

“Whoever dreams about something like that?”

When asked if he would be making an appearance at the ceremony in Stockholm, he replied: “Absolutely. If it’s at all possible.”

Read: The Nobel Prize panel has given up knockin’ on Bob Dylan’s door>

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)