This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Saturday 14 December, 2019
Advertisement

UK Government "doesn't recognise" leaked memo about lack of Brexit plan

The memo suggested that the British Government had “no plan” for Brexit

Image: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA Wire

Updated at 11am 

THE UK GOVERNMENT has said that it “doesn’t recognise”a leaked memo suggesting that it has no overall plan for leaving the EU.

A Government source told the BBC this morning that the document was an unsolicited pitch for work from a consultancy firm.

The Times UK earlier reported that divisions in cabinet meant a plan and overall negotiating strategy may not be decided upon for six months, according to the memo.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said she hopes to invoke Article 50 – which will set in motion the formal process of the UK leaving the EU – by March of next year.

However, the memo is reported to state that there is still no common exit strategy “because of divisions” between ministers.

The leaked Cabinet Office memo – written by an unnamed consultant – is also critical of May who it says is “acquiring a reputation of drawing in decisions and details to settle matters herself”.

It also states, it’s reported, that the government does not have enough officials to implement Brexit quickly, with individual departments developing individual plans resulting in ”well over 500 projects”.

It states that an additional 30,000 extra civil servants may need to be hired to handle the workload.

Newspaper story

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling denied that it was a Government memo and rejected its contents on BBC Radio 4′s Today programme.

He said that while the upcoming negotiations between Britain and the EU would be “complex”, it would not be “the challenge that is set out in today’s newspaper story.”

Meanwhile, Taoiseach Enda Kenny will meet with Northern Ireland First Minister Arlene Foster today in Dublin, to discuss Brexit.

The DUP leader had previously declined an invitation to the all island Civic Forum to discuss Ireland’s position as the UK prepares to leave the EU.

The two will likely discuss Brexit and the effect it will have on both the North and Republic of Ireland.

With additional reporting from Sean Murray

Read: A hard Brexit could cost 40,000 Irish jobs – report

Read: Nigel Farage issues Brexit warning: “I’ve seen the Irish forced to vote again”

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Cormac Fitzgerald

Read next:

COMMENTS (68)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel