This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Saturday 25 May, 2019
Advertisement

Bus Éireann workers to strike from Sunday

Bus Éireann believes the industrial action, if it goes ahead, will be “illegal and unofficial”.

Image: Bus Éireann

Update 6.15pm

MEMBERS OF THE National Bus and Rail Union have rejected the Labour Court’s cost-cutting recommendation at Bus Éireann in a ballot taken today.

An all-out strike will now go ahead from Sunday.

Of all unions, the NBRU represents the largest number of staff members at the bus company. A total of 82 per cent of the 820 voting members rejected the proposed pay cuts and changes to terms of employment.

Secretary general Michael Faherty told TheJournal.ie that there was a “resounding” vote from a high turnout of members today. He said the workers were “aware of the consequences” which he described as unfortunate.

The all-out strike action could continue for an indefinite period of time.

The NBRU represents more than 1,100 of the company’s 2,500 employees. It has had a mandate for industrial action since January.

Bus Éireann believes any strike action that takes place on Sunday will be “illegal and unofficial” as the company has not received seven days notice from the union.

Spokesperson Andrew McLindon told TheJournal.ie that any industrial action will be “very disappointing and an inconvenience for customers”.

It will also be counter-productive, he said, as it will exacerbate Bus Éireann’s already-precarious financial situation. Core wages and employment levels – which have been protected under previous proposals from the company and the Labour Court – could now be under threat.

“A strike will hand over revenues and customers to the competition,” added McLindon.

“Bus Éireann will be making every efforts to maintain services where it is safe to do so.”

Earlier, Bus Éireann warned that it needed to make savings to protect its viability. The firm lost €6 million last year and continues to drop about €500,000 every month.

Other employees who are members of SIPTU are still balloting on the Labour Court proposals. There are also a number of drivers who do not belong to any union.

Bus Eireann staff could undertake industrial action on Sunday

UPDATE: Bus Eireann to proceed with cost saving plan despite planned strike action

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (239)