Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

A picture of Luka Rocca Magnotta is shown during a news conference in Montreal last week AP Photo/Montreal Police Service via The Canadian Press
grisly

Canadian porn actor suspect pleads not guilty to murdering Chinese student

Luka Rocco Magnotta appeared before the Montreal courthouse via video link for safety and logistical reasons.

THE SUSPECT IN the grisly killing and dismemberment of a Chinese student in Montreal has pleaded not guilty to charges of first degree murder, a prosecutor said.

Luka Rocco Magnotta pleaded not guilty to murder and four other charges, which included committing indignities to a body, Crown Prosecutor Louis Bouthillier told reporters at the Montreal courthouse, where the suspect is appearing via a video link.

Authorities said that for safety and logistical reasons, Magnotta would not be brought to Montreal’s courthouse, but would appear via video-conference from a police detention centre where he is being held in the north of the city.

Canada’s most sought-after suspect was brought home aboard a military jet late Monday under the careful watch of investigators and police.

The 29-year-old Toronto native, an occasional porn actor and escort, seized worldwide attention for allegedly murdering and dismembering Lin Jun, a 33-year-old engineering student from China studying at Concordia University.

The two are believed to have once had a sexual relationship.

Magnotta had been held in a top security prison in Berlin since 4 June when he was arrested in a cyber cafe while reading about himself on the internet. His escape from Montreal, first to France then to Germany, sparked a nine-day international manhunt.

- © AFP, 2012

Previously: Canadian porn actor suspect extradited from Germany >

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
9
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.