Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Sunday 4 June 2023 Dublin: 15°C
Carbon Monoxide via Shutterstock
# warning
Watch out for dangerous carbon monoxide in your home
The deadly gas can build up in the home, and can’t be detected by our senses.

FIRE OFFICERS ARE warning people to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO), which can kill people within minutes.

The Irish Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) is urging everyone to be aware of the dangers associated with CO build-up in the home as part Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014.

CO is a highly poisonous gas which can kill in minutes, and Seamus Murphy, chairperson of the CFOA, explained that CO is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths throughout the world.

“The potentially deadly gas can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained,” said Murphy.

Because it has no odour, colour or taste, CO cannot be detected by our senses. Symptoms associated with exposure to CO include a mild headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue and drowsiness.

Thankfully, it only takes simple measures to prevent CO problems, Murphy assured.

He recommends the installation of a CO alarm to detect potentially deadly conditions in the home.

Householders should also make sure that all fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained, while knowing the symptoms of CO poisoning is important.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2014 is coordinated by Bord Gáis Networks and is supported by the CFOA, CER, Register of Gas Installers, Irish LPG Association, OFTEC, NSAI, HSE, HSA and all of the major Irish energy retailers.

To find out more about CO, and get advice, visit

Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm?

Poll Results:

No (1489)
Yes (1340)

Poll: Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home?

Read: Advice issued on using registered gas fitters after installer jailed for manslaughter>

Your Voice
Readers Comments