This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 12 °C Thursday 2 July, 2020
Advertisement

Car crashed through fence at Dublin modular housing site, then set alight

Construction on the rapid-build homes at the site is due to begin next week.

received_1108337522548907 The collapsed fencing at the Cherry Orchard site

A FUTURE MODULAR housing site in west Dublin was the subject of significant anti-social behaviour over the weekend.

The site’s steel fence, at Cherry Orchard near Ballyfermot, was destroyed by a car on Friday evening. The car was subsequently set on fire.

When officials from Dublin City Council went to remove the burnt-out car on Saturday they were set upon by youths flinging rocks and other debris.

The situation was repeated yesterday. This morning, the council finally managed to remove the car from the site.

Pre-building preparation work for the modular housing, including sewage lines, had already been completed.

Construction on the homes was due to begin next week for a completion date of December

24 families are expected to be housed at the site when construction is completed.

cherry orchard Source: Google Maps

“The damage done to the building site in Cherry Orchard is unacceptable and should not have happened,” said local councillor Daithí Doolan of Sinn Féin, adding that the site had been “the bane of local people’s lives” in recent years before being made available for a modular housing build.

It puts local people, particularly children, at risk. Those involved should stop for a minute and just think about the damage they are doing to Cherry Orchard.

Doolan said that the site in question had been designated for a social housing project prior to the recession, but that when the economy was hit the housing project “never happened”.

“What I can say is that the site needs security and now to prevent this from happening again,” he added.

I don’t care who pays for it.

Dublin City Council said it would not be commenting on the incidents when contacted for a statement.

Read: Stephen Donnelly has left the Social Democrats

Read: Appeal for 44-year-old woman missing from Kildare since Saturday

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (46)