This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Thursday 12 December, 2019
Advertisement

Child shooting: Gardaí following definite line of inquiry, call on perpetrators to turn themselves in

Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald has described the shooting of the six-year-old as “barbaric”.

Gardai say they are following a definite line of inquiry.
Gardai say they are following a definite line of inquiry.
Image: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland

GARDAÍ INVESTIGATING THE shooting of a six-year-old child in Dublin say they are following a definite line of inquiry.

Gardaí have this afternoon appealed for the person or persons involved in the incident to turn themselves in, saying that they believe the boy was not the intended target of the shooting.

The boy remains in a stable condition in Our Lady’s Hospital Crumlin with his injuries described as non life-threatening.

The scene of the shooting has been sealed off for a technical examination and gardaí say a senior officer has been appointed to investigate the shooting.

Extensive house-to-house inquires are also being undertaken in the area.

Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald has described the shooting of the child as “barbaric”.

Fitzgerald says she “shares the shock of the community in Ballyfermot at the appalling shooting of a child” adding that “thoughts and prayers of everyone will be for the recovery of the child”.

The minster also says that she has been in contact with the Acting Garda Commissioner Noirín O’Sullivan following the shooting:

Noirin O’Sullivan has assured me that the Gardaí are making significant progress with their inquiries and that they are determined to bring to justice those involved in perpetrating this dreadful incident.This incident is a stark reminder of the dangers of a gun culture and the men and women of An Garda Síochána have the full support of the Minister and local communities for the work they do day in day out in counteracting the activities of those who show such a callous disregard for human life.

Ballyfermot shooting. A member of the The Garda Technical Bureau is examining the scene. Source: Laura Hutton/Photocall Ireland

Despite the minister’s assurances, there have been calls for an increased garda presence in the area with local councillor Daithi de Róiste saying only “lip service” has been given to the issue so far.

“I have written to the Minister to demand an urgent meeting to discuss this escalation and her plans to tackle this problem seriously,” he says.

The Fianna Fáil representative adds that residents in Ballyfermot are becoming increasingly anxious for their safety following a recent spate of gun attacks in the area:

At present, we have an innocent child in Crumlin Childrens hospital who has been shot by people who are nothing but thugs. This happened in a busy residential area, with many young families and older residents living nearby.

“Our local gardaí are doing everything they possibly can to keep this area safe. But with such a severe escalation of violence, it’s clear they simply do not have the resources to maintain a strong street presence and bring these criminals to justice,” he says.

Originally published 1.10pm

Read: Condition of six-year-old boy shot in Dublin described as “non life-threatening” >

Read: A child has been shot in Dublin >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (123)