We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Browne's Steakhouse, where the shooting took place last year (file photo)

Teenager accused of taking possession of submachine gun used in Blanchardstown Christmas Eve shooting

The man is due to appear before Blanchardstown District Court today.


A YOUTH HAS been accused of taking possession of a submachine gun used to murder Jason Hennessy Sr in a Dublin restaurant after two “assassins” entered and started spraying bullets” on Christmas Eve.

Shooter Tristan Sherry, 26, was attacked and died after he and a second person carried out a gun attack on Mr Hennessy, 48, inside Browne’s Steakhouse in Blanchardstown.

Mr Hennessy, a father from Corduff, west Dublin, was shot in the neck and upper body while having a meal with family and friends.

He was rushed to hospital, but his condition deteriorated, and he passed away on 4 January, resulting in gardaí commencing a separate murder investigation.

Gardaí arrested and charged an eighth male in connection with the incidents.

Juares Kumbu, 18, appeared before Judge Maire Conneely at Blanchardstown District Court today.

The unemployed youth, also known as Jay, with an address at Brookhaven Grove, Blanchardstown, faces a single charge under the Firearms Act for unlawful possession of a submachine gun on Main Street, Blanchardstown, on 24 December.

Bail was refused, and he was remanded in custody to appear again next week.

Detective Garda Shane Guinan said the accused was arrested at his home address at 7:15 am today and brought to Blanchardstown garda station.

He had “no reply” to charge after caution.

Detective Garda Guinan objected to bail due to the seriousness of the case and fears of witness intimidation.

He also said the loaded firearm had not been recovered.

The bail hearing was told that several people, including Jason Hennessy Sr’s friends and family, were having dinner at the steakhouse on Christmas Eve.

“At 8:15 pm, two people entered, both of them in possession of firearms and opened fire in the restaurant at their target,” said Detective Garda Guinan.

One of the gunmen, Tristan Sherry, was grabbed by Jason Hennessy Sr, and Mr Sherry was attacked and “succumbed to his injuries”.

The court heard the gun fell to the floor but was picked up and put on a table.

The defendant allegedly picked it up, left the restaurant and was driven away from the scene.

Detective Garda Guinan said there was excellent quality CCTV, and he alleged the accused was identified, picking up the gun and “Clearly cradling the same in his clothing”.

The detective alleged the accused was “caught red-handed”, knew the location of this firearm, and it was a vital piece of evidence in the investigation into the murder of Jason Hennessy Sr.

He also said a number of people were in the restaurant, and witness interference was possible.

No bail conditions would allay the officer’s concerns.

Detective Garda Guinan agreed with defence solicitor Simon Fleming that the accused had no prior criminal convictions.

He also accepted that the defendant had been arrested in January, but he was not charged then because the firearm had not been recovered.

He alleged the defendant removed the firearm used by Tristan Sherry to murder Jason Hennessy Sr and “tensions were high” in the area between people associated with Tristan Sherry and Mr Hennessy.

Homes have been targeted, and one had been set on fire, the court was told.

Mr Fleming said his client had been at the steakhouse enjoying dinner with the Hennessy family when “two assassins with machine guns came in and started spraying bullets”.

It was not alleged that the accused was one of the people who attacked Mr Hennessy.

Pleading for bail, Mr Fleming stressed that his client had a presumption of innocence; the only evidence against him was CCTV footage, and many people with similar appearances were in the restaurant.

The court heard the teen was interviewed and did not make any admissions, and Mr Fleming said the youth was entitled to fight this case at trial, which may not be heard for three years.

He asked the judge to note that the accused had not fled since the date of the incident.

A conviction can result in a minimum sentence of five years.

The solicitor said the accused was willing to comply with any conditions set down by the court.

Refusing bail, the judge the accused has the presumption of innocence, but there was no denying the seriousness of the offence.

She remanded the accused in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on Tuesday. The Director of Public Prosecutions has directed trial on indictment at a higher level and prosecutors must prepare a book of evidence.

Legal aid was granted.

Earlier proceedings have heard that there was a “sustained attack” on Mr Sherry on the ground for five minutes, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Wayne Deegan, 26, from Linnetsfield Avenue, Phibblestown, Dublin 15, David Amah, 18, of Hazel Grove, Portrane Road, Donabate, Dublin, Michael Andrecut, 22, with an address at Sheephill Avenue in Dublin 15, and a 17-year-old boy who cannot be named because he is a minor, were previously charged with murdering Sherry and remain in custody.

Another youth and two other men are also before the courts on related charges, including assault, violent disorder and production of a weapon during the incident.

One of the co-defendants, Brandon Hennessy, 20, of Sheephill Avenue, Dublin 15, is a son of Jason Hennessy Sr. A court has heard he allegedly “retaliated” after his father was fatally injured.