Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Monday 6 February 2023 Dublin: 3°C
# passport fraud
Christy Kinahan Senior told to return to Spain to face fake passport charges
Prosecutors allege Kinahan Senior used a British passport in the name of Michael Leslie Swift to board a flight to Rio.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 6.04.20 PM

CHRISTY KINAHAN SENIOR will have to return to the Costa del Sol for his passport fraud trial after being indicted by Spanish prosecutors and warned he faces up to four years in prison if convicted.

Kinahan Senior had been told he would not have to leave his Dubai bolthole and attend court personally in Malaga if prosecutors ended up seeking a jail sentence of less than two years.

The possibility of a no-show emerged around the time it was confirmed plans to try the 65-year-old and his sons Daniel and Christopher for money laundering and membership of a criminal gang had been dropped.

Julio Martinez Carazo, Head of Prosecution for the Marbella area of Spain’s Costa del Sol, spoke of his “disappointment” in October 2020 after it emerged only five of the original 31 suspects arrested as part of Operation Shovel in May 2010 would face trial on lesser charges.

Today, it was confirmed indictments have been presented against all five men.

And instead of the two years that would spare Kinahan Senior a problematic return to Europe, state prosecutors have confirmed they are seeking a prison sentence double that ahead of his trial.

Their jail demand – two years for each of the two counts of passport fraud Kinahan Snr is charged with – is made in a five-page written indictment submitted to Estepona Court of Instruction Number Three which spent more than a decade investigating the suspects arrested as part of Operation Shovel.

The convicted Dublin-born drug dealer, named as a leader of the Kinahan Organised Crime Group along with his two sons in April by the US Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, is accused of using a false passport for a flight to Brazil.

Prosecutors allege in their indictment Kinahan Senior used a British passport in the name of Michael Leslie Swift to board flight Iberia IB6205 bound for Rio de Janeiro on April 29 2010.

The indictment states: “He also used the same false identity to reserve the ticket and obtain the boarding card.”

The five-page written document, which has been received by the defence lawyers of all five suspects due to stand trial, also outlines the basis for the second fraud charge against Kinahan Senior.

Local police in Benahavis near Marbella are said to have “surprised” Robert Edward Phillips and James Gregory Naughton on June 15 2010 near to a taped-up lunch box.

Inside the lunch box an Irish passport in the name of a man who had died in Ireland on March 23 2002 was found.

The indictment says: “In that passport the photograph of Christopher Kinahan Senior had been inserted after he allegedly provided his own photo for the confection of this falsified passport.”

As well as a two-year prison sentence for each offence he has been charged with, prosecutors have told the court in Estepona they are seeking fines for Kinahan Senior totalling around €6,500 and an obligation to pay a share of the court costs if convicted.

Naughton and Phillips have also been told state prosecutors want a two-year prison sentence for them if convicted.

Jasvinder Singh Kamoo, said to have played a key money laundering role by police investigators in a report highlighted by the Spanish press in their initial coverage of Operation Shovel after the arrests, faces trial for using fake number plates on a Mercedes.

Prosecutors have confirmed in their indictment made public today they are also seeking a two-year prison sentence.

A fifth man, Ross Gerard Browning, is facing trial for unlawful possession of a weapon and prosecutors who have indicted him now say they are seeking a jail term of two years and nine months.

Mr Browning was described as a convicted armed robber and “former senior mobster” by an Irish newspaper in November 2018.

The indictment makes it clear Christy Kinahan Senior has no previous convictions in Spain.

Under Spanish law prison sentences are normally only suspended for terms of two years or less.

Kinahan Senior spent around six months on remand in jail after his Operation Shovel arrest, which would be taken into account but would not spare him a return to prison if he gets the full four years.

It is understood no date for the trial, which would take place at a court in Malaga, has yet been set.

Well-placed insiders confirmed last night he would risk being made the subject of an International arrest warrant if he failed to show in court when the trial starts.

Settlement plans

He is now expected to try to intensify efforts through his lawyers to seek an out-of-court settlement whereby he would agree to plead guilty in return for a reduced sentence.

It was not immediately clear today if he would have to attend court should a plea bargain deal be agreed, but the fact four other men are facing trial could complicate any possibility.

A forced return to Spain for the Irishman would be expected to end in attempts to extradite him to the States or Ireland.

US Ambassador to Ireland Claire Cronin announced there was a €5,000,000 reward for key information leading to the Kinahan gang being dismantled in April after the US government hit Christy Senior and his two sons as well as four other men it identified as key associates with sanctions.

One of the seven, British-born Irish passport holder Johnny Morrissey, was arrested at a rented Costa del Sol flat in September on suspicion of money laundering and membership of a criminal gang.

He remains on remand in prison.