Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Adi Roche measuring radiation in Chernobyl. Chernobyl Children International/Julian Behal
Chernobyl

'A ticking timebomb': contamination shield at Chernobyl delayed due to Ukrainian crisis

Adi Roche said that a large amount of “highly unstable” radioactive material was still present at the site of the 1986 disaster.

THE BUILDING OF a contamination shield at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant has been thrown into doubt due to increasing political tensions in Ukraine.

The shield, which would be the largest movable structure ever built, was due to be installed by October 2015 at a cost of almost €1.5 billion.

However, Irish aid agency Chernobyl Children International (CCI) has said that construction on the shield could be delayed by up to two years.

The primary objective of the structure is to make the leaking reactor safe for the next century.

Adi Roche, CEO of CCI, who recently returned from a trip to study the progress of the shield’s construction, described the situation as a “ticking timebomb”.

“Chernobyl is the old Soviet Union’s deadly legacy to Ukraine and the world has very real reason to be extremely concerned about the ongoing threat it poses, especially at a time of great instability and growing hostility between Ukraine and Russia,” Roche said.

What can never be forgotten is that the destruction caused by the deadly explosion at Reactor No 4 at Chernobyl was triggered by the release of just 3 per cent of the radioactive material in the plant, the remaining 97 per cent of this enormous ticking timebomb of highly unstable nuclear material is still inside the crumbling Chernobyl complex.

The world’s worst nuclear accident occurred at Chernobyl, 120 kilometres north of the Ukrainian capital Kiev, on 26 April 1986. The explosion affected the lives of more than 7 million people.

reactor5 (by Julien Behal) A reactor at Chernobyl. Pic: Chernobyl Children International/Julian Behal

In the immediate aftermath of the disaster, a temporary shield was built over the damaged reactor to prevent any further release of radiation.

Over time, this shield deteriorated and in 1997 the G7 group of nations and the EU signed an agreement to replace the old ‘sarcophagus’ with a ‘safe confinement structure’.

Work on the new shield began in 2010.

Funding

The EU has pledged €250 million towards the cost of the structure, while Ukraine is set to pay €45 million and Russia has committed to contribute €15 million.

Roche said that Russia appears to have abandoned its pledge.

Internationally, several countries have committed to aid the project financially. The US, Germany and the UK will donate €182 million, €60 million and €53 million respectively. Ireland has contributed €8 million.

Ukrainian politician Valerii Kalchenko said it was “hugely uncertain” if Russia would provide their share of the funding.

Chernobyl Children International recently had to suspend a €3 million euro cardiac surgery programme in the town of Kharkiv in eastern Ukraine due to escalating tensions.

This Saturday will mark the 28th anniversary of the disaster.

Related: Children can’t get surgery because of Ukraine crisis, the Irish government is being asked to help

Read: Four militants dead in Ukrainian night fight despite ‘Easter truce’

Column: How my trip to a children’s mental asylum in Belarus made me proud to be Irish

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
41
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.