We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

PA Archive/Press Association Images
Sexual Assault

Man pleads guilty to raping a mother and daughter

The 47-year-old man was on bail for previously kidnapping the daughter.

Warning for readers: This report contains details of sexual violence that may be upsetting.

A MAN RAPED his girlfriend before raping her mother days later after breaking into her house and holding a knife to her throat, a court has heard.

Gardaí were alerted to the rape of the mother, who was aged 60 at the time, after the attacker accidentally left a recording of the rape on the daughter’s voicemail.

The 47-year-old Waterford man, who cannot be named to protect the women’s identities, has previously served a lengthy sentence for raping his daughter over a four year period.

At the time of the latest attacks on his girlfriend and her mother, he was on bail for kidnapping and seriously assaulting the same girlfriend the previous year. Last December he was jailed for three and a half years for the kidnapping.

The man faces a strong possibility of life imprisonment for the latest attacks. His defence counsel asked Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy to impose a determinate sentence so the man “can work towards a target date.”

The father of four pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape of the two women in various ways between 2-5 July 2015 at locations in Dublin.

He also pleaded guilty to false imprisonment, attempted rape, aggravated burglary, making threats to kill and aggravated sexual assault.

Extremely violent

Detective Inspector Paul Cleary told Kerida Naidoo SC, prosecuting, that the ordeal started after the accused became angry when his girlfriend’s mother refused to let him into their house. He went with his girlfriend to another location where they had sex during which the man became extremely violent.

The woman repeatedly begged him to stop but he continued to rape her. Afterwards she felt she couldn’t go home and went with the accused to his house.

The next day he woke her up and brought her into the bathroom where he told her: “I’ll slice you up, I’ll kill you.”

He then alternated between orally and anally raping the woman until she vomited.

Afterwards she lay sobbing in the bed and the man told her to be quiet. She later fled to a friend’s house.

Two days later the woman had a missed call and voicemail from the accused.

In the background of the voicemail message she could hear her mother pleading and the accused threatening her.

Earlier that evening the man had forced his way into the house after the mother opened the door to him. He punched her and held a Stanley knife to her throat as he abused her verbally.

He dragged the 60-year-old woman up the stairs by her hair before tying her up with restraints.

Det Insp Cleary said that for the next two hours and 40 minutes she was subjected to a vicious assault physically and sexually. 

The attacker was described as speaking in a relatively calm voice as he called the woman names, punched her and held the blade to her throat. He also “sunk his teeth into her nose.”

He choked her with her underwear before raping her repeatedly both orally and vaginally.

He told her he would slit her throat and wait for her daughter to come home before slitting hers.

The woman passed out several times. The court heard believed she was going to die and hoped that her daughter wouldn’t return home.

During this time the man was repeatedly ringing her daughter with no answer.

Criminal Courts of Justice PA Archive / Press Association Images PA Archive / Press Association Images / Press Association Images

Gardaí were alerted by the woman’s daughter after she heard the voicemail. As officers banged on the door the accused told the woman he would kill her.

Gardaí broke in and chased the man into the back garden where they pepper sprayed him after he refused to drop the knife.

Det Insp Cleary said the woman was left “unbelievably traumatised” afterwards and now felt a prisoner in her own home.

In interview, the accused made some admissions but claimed the mother had invited him in and that she was lying about certain aspects of the attack.

Dominic McGinn SC, defending, said his client had instructed him not to minimise the seriousness of the offending. He said his client had some insight into his offending and was on the waiting list for psychological treatment in prison.

The judge adjourned finalisation until 3 May next.

Comments are closed because legal proceedings are ongoing. 

Read: Cork man jailed for 12 years for “horrific sustained attack” on woman >

Read: Drama teacher jailed for raping girl (7) at Offaly school >





Declan Brennan and Conor Gallagher