Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Saturday 28 January 2023 Dublin: 6°C
AP/Press Association Images
# Help
Family of British man kidnapped by ISIS ask his captors to make contact
Islamic State has threatened to kill David Haines, who was kidnapped in March last year.

THE FAMILY OF a British aid worker believed to have been kidnapped by Islamic State militants more than eighteen months ago have appealed for his captors to get in touch with them.

David Haines was working in Syria in March 2013 when he was abducted. ISIS threatened to kill him in a recent video in which US journalist Steven Sotloff was beheaded.

Haines’s family said that the militants have not yet responded to any of their attempts to make contact so far.

“We are the family of David Haines. We have sent messages to you to which we have not received a reply. We are asking those holding David to make contact with us,” the family said in a statement issued through the British government’s Foreign Office.

Islamic State has seized a large amount of land in Iraq and Syria in recent months and declared a new caliphate in the region. The CIA has estimated that the group has been 20,000 and 31,500 fighters.

In the video showing the death of Steven Sotloff, the militants threatened to kill Haines unless US airstrikes stop.

Haines had been working for an international relief charity in Syria, and had previously been involved in humanitarian work in the Balkans, parts of Africa, and elsewhere in the Middle East.

Read: White House makes it official: The US is at war with Islamic State > 

Read: CIA triples its estimate of the number of Islamic State fighters > 

COMMENTS (32)