#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 5°C Thursday 24 September 2020
Advertisement

New pieces of debris could be linked to MH370, says Australia

The search is coming to an end according to China, Australia and Malaysia.

Relatives of passengers on board MH370 in Beijing in March of this year
Relatives of passengers on board MH370 in Beijing in March of this year
Image: Andy Wong

THREE NEW PIECES of debris have been found in Mauritius and in Mozambique that could be linked to missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Australia’s transport minister has said today.

The fate of the passenger jet, which is presumed to have crashed at sea after disappearing en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 passengers and crew on board in March 2014, remains a mystery.

Five other fragments have previously been found and identified as definitely or probably from the Boeing 777.

All of them were discovered thousands of kilometres (miles) from the current search zone far off Western Australia’s coast.

Transport Minister Darren Chester said two of the new pieces were found in Mauritius, with the other in Mozambique and were “of interest in connection to the disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370″.

“The Malaysian government is yet to take custody of the items, however as with previous items, Malaysian officials are arranging collection and it is expected the items will be brought to Australia for examination,” Chester said in a statement.

“These items of debris are of interest and will be examined by experts.”

No other details were given.

Australia is leading the hunt for MH370 in the remote Indian Ocean, with more than 105,000 square kilometres (40,500 square miles) of the designated 120,000 square kilometre search zone scoured without success.

If nothing turns up once the area is fully scoured, the search is likely to be abandoned, Australia, Malaysia and China have jointly said.

The head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said last week that the hunt could wrap up in August.

- © AFP, 2016

Read: After months of mapping mystery part of Indian Ocean, desolate search for MH370 resumes

Also: “Highly unlikely” surface wreckage from missing Malaysia plane will be found

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (8)