This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Friday 18 October, 2019
Advertisement

Dil Wickremasinghe's Newstalk show has been cancelled

Wickremasinghe had announced that she would not present her radio show following the comments made by George Hook before he was suspended.

Image: Newstalk

BROADCASTER DIL WICKREMASINGHE has announced that her Newstalk career has come to an abrupt end.

In a statement, which she posted to her followers on Twitter, the presenter said, “Earlier today I met with Newstalk management who told me that despite positive ratings and performance, my Saturday night radio show ‘Global Village’ has been cancelled.

I am shocked and deeply disappointed at this sudden news.

Wickremasinghe described presenting Global Village on Newstalk as “one of the greatest privileges of my life” and thanked the production team and voluntary and community groups who collaborated on the show.

Last month on 14 September, before George Hook was suspended, Wickremasinghe had announced that she would not present her radio show following the comments made by George Hook about rape.

Hook was suspended the following day after widespread condemnation of his comments about rape on his lunchtime show where the presenter asked “is there no blame now to the person who puts themselves in danger?”.

Hook is returning to Newstalk from December to take on a new weekend slot after stepping down from his afternoon show High Noon.

The comments section on this article has been switched off.

Read: Newstalk bans Irish Times journalists from its airwaves after George Hook furore>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (237)