Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 16°C Friday 19 August 2022
Advertisement

"Leave me alone!": Strauss-Kahn says he is facing "media assault"

The former head of the International Monetary Fund says that he is the subject of a “media assault that some days resembles a manhunt” amid allegations of sexual assault and pimping.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn in Ukraine last month
Dominique Strauss-Kahn in Ukraine last month
Image: Efrem Lukatsky/AP/Press Association Images

DISGRACED FORMER International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has pleaded to be left alone.

He says he is facing a “media assault” in an interview with French weekly Le Point.

“I have never been convicted, not in (France) nor in any other country,” he said in the interview, due to appear tomorrow.

“Therefore nothing justifies my being the object of a media assault that some days resembles a manhunt.”

Strauss-Kahn, a one-time contender for the French presidency, suffered a stunning fall from grace following his arrest at a New York hotel on sexual assault charges last year and a subsequent string of sex-related investigations in France.

In the interview he denounced the intense media scrutiny he has faced since returning to France after the US charges were dropped.

“I can no longer tolerate that there is an assumed right to take advantage of my situation – and the legal investigations wrongly targeting me – to trample on my privacy,” he said. ”Leave me alone!”

Strauss-Kahn is facing charges in France of “aggravated pimping in an organised gang” in connection with claims that he and associates arranged sex parties with prostitutes.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Strauss-Kahn admits to attending orgies but says he was unaware the women were being paid.

“The truth is that my friends organised the parties I attended. As there were prostitutes there, of course I’m accused of having formed a prostitution ring, making me a pimp – it’s as false as it is absurd,” Strauss-Kahn said in the Le Point interview.

Earlier this month a probe into Strauss-Kahn’s alleged participation in a gang rape was dropped after the woman involved wrote to French police saying she had consented and was not pressing charges.

The next hearing in the pimping case is due in November.

Read: Strauss-Kahn wants pimping charges dropped

Read: Fizzy drink named after DSK to go on sale in France

Read: Strauss-Kahn counter-suing hotel maid over rape claim

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (20)