Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Tuesday 31 January 2023 Dublin: 8°C
Image: Wikimedia Commons The Turkish city of Izmir, where the women were killed in August.
# Turkey
Double murder accused to have bone marrow test
Recep Cetin, who is accused of killing two women from Co Down earlier this year, claims he is 17. But a judge has ordered a bone marrow test to determine his real age.

RECEP CETIN, WHO is accused of killing two Co Down women in Turkey, claims he is 17 years old.

But the victims’ families believe he is older, and should not be tried in a juvenile court.

Yesterday, a court in Turkey determined that Cetin is required to have a bone marrow test to find out his age, says the BBC.

If he is over 18, he will be charged in an adult court.

Cetin is accused of killing Kathy Dinsmore and her friend Marion Graham in Izmir, Turkey, in late August.

He had been in a relationship with Graham’s 15-year-old daughter, Shannon.

Shannon told the court hearing that she was “deeply saddened” by the murders, the BBC reports, and said that Cetin had never asked her  to marry him.

She also said that in her belief, her mother Marion wanted her to leave Turkey because of Cetin, and this may have led him to kill her and her friend.

Cetin’s lawyers say he acted in self-defence.

The Irish Independent reports today that the father of Recep, Eyup Cetin, was arrested during the court hearing after a witness placed him and his car at the scene of the murders.

The next hearing will take place in February.

Read: Man accused of double murder in Turkey due in court>

Read: Down woman killed ‘for refusing to allow daughter to marry’>

Your Voice
Readers Comments
1