Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Dublin: 14°C Wednesday 10 August 2022
Advertisement

European Parliament evacuated after bomb alert

The scene has now been declared safe.

BELGIAN POLICE HAVE evacuated hundreds of people from the European Parliament after a suspicious vehicle was spotted nearby.

Media outlet RTL reported that there was a drunk man with weapons in the car.

Parliament spokesman Jaume Duch Guillot said police evacuated three of the parliament’s buildings in Brussels and cordoned off the vehicle.

Belgian media showed a photograph of a police robot moving toward a vehicle in a nearby street.

Duch Guillot said about 500 people has to leave. He said two of the three buildings, used only for administrative purposes, have since been declared safe.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Irish MEP Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan was among those present at the time of the evacuation.

Belgium has been on high alert since the Paris terror attacks last month. There have been a series of police raids on suspected foreign fighters in the city.

Additional reporting: Associated Press

As it happened: Charlie Hebdo suspects dead and four hostages killed in Jewish store

Troops are being deployed on the streets of Belgium

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (23)