#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13°C Monday 14 June 2021
Advertisement

Families of Ballymurphy victims meet First Minister Peter Robinson

Those who lost loved ones in 1971 mass killings continue with campaign for independent inquiry into the deaths of eleven people.

Alice Harper with a press cutting from August 1971 when 11 people, including her father Daniel Teggart, were killed in Ballymurphy, Belfast.
Alice Harper with a press cutting from August 1971 when 11 people, including her father Daniel Teggart, were killed in Ballymurphy, Belfast.
Image: PA/PA Archive/Press Association Images via PA/PA Archive/Press Association Image

THE FAMILIES OF 11 people who were killed by the British Army in Ballymurphy are to meet Northern Ireland’s First Minister Peter Robinson today.

This is the first meeting between the families and Robinson.

The 11 victims – who included a Catholic priest and a mother of eight children – were killed in the Ballymurphy area of Belfast between 9 and 11 August 1971 by members of the British Army’s Parachute regiment.

Their deaths occurred during the British Army’s Operation Demetrius, which involved the internment of people suspected of paramilitary activity.

John Taggart, whose father was killed in that two-day period, told BBC News Northern Ireland that the families want Mr Robinson to endorse their campaign for an independent investigation. Mr Taggart said the fact that Mr Robinson had agreed to meet the families was an encouraging sign.

In November of last year, the families lobbied politicians in Westminster as part of their campaign for the independent inquiry.

Read next:

COMMENTS