This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Friday 19 July, 2019
Advertisement

Fianna Fáil's brand new plan for Moore Street is "a little bit inspired" by Charlie

Could the area become the new Temple Bar?

Image: Eamonn Farrell/Photocall Ireland

FIANNA FÁIL has launched a new plan to redevelop the Moore Street area of Dublin city centre, and have it declared as a ‘historical quarter’.

Councillor Paul McAuliffe, who drew up the proposals, told TheJournal.ie the plan was “a little bit inspired” by Charlie Haughey’s approach to the Temple Bar area over two decades ago.

According to press material from Fianna Fáil, their new Moore Street Area Renewal and Development Bill would “establish an urban development company tasked with delivering urban regeneration at the very heart of Dublin city”.

“The Bill takes its inspiration from the successful urban regeneration project that took place in Temple Bar.”

McAuliffe said in a statement that, if adopted, the Bill would  regenerate and preserve the entire area by establishing a development company “that will have powers to compulsory purchase land with the aim of revitalising the Moore Street area”.

“The Moore Street site is of historic significance and should be given the prominence that it deserves.

It also has great economic potential and we want to see a greater vision for the use of the whole terrace and adjoining lands on North O’Connell Street.

Haughey, the late Fianna Fáil Taoiseach, is widely credited with spearheading the regeneration of Temple Bar, which is now effectively the city’s ‘tourist quarter’ – however, initial plans for the area envisaged a cultural district, with an emphasis on galleries and art studios rather than bars and food outlets.

Moore Street, Dublin Source: Photocall Ireland

Land swap controversy

The Government announced at the end of last month that it would be purchasing the row of houses on Moore Street where the 1916 rebels last held out for €4 million. The site was declared a national monument back in 2007 but has been derelict since.

Last year, the site was the subject of a long row in Dublin City Council, centering on whether or not to accept a ‘land swap’ deal with developers Chartered Land.

Members of  ‘Save 16 Moore Street’ Committee have backed today’s proposals. James Connolly Heron – grandson of rebel James Connolly – said it went “much further” than the Government’s plan “to only protect the 1916 National Monument”.

Councillor Seán Haughey, a former junior minister and son of Charlie, said the plan being launched today demonstrated his party’s “commitment to honouring our past while at the same time outlining a strong vision for the future”.

moore1 Moore Street and O'Connell Street area Source: Google Maps

Fianna Fáil, Sinn Féin, the Greens and People Before Profit all voted against the contentious ‘land swap’ plan for numbers 14-16 Moore Street last November, as the proposal was rejected by the Council.

Haughey said their stance was ‘vindicated’ by the Government’s move to purchase the site last month, and that the coalition had effectively been “embarrassed” into finally taking action

Read: Dublin City Council vote against Moore St ‘land swap deal’

Read: Why are councillors getting so worked up about the 1916 site at Moore Street?

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Daragh Brophy

Read next:

COMMENTS (40)