This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Friday 16 November, 2018
Advertisement

Frontline Gallagher tweet was from fake McGuinness campaign account

However, it further prompted the issue of whether Gallagher collected a €5,000 donation for Fianna Fáil from a convicted fuel smuggler.

Image: Photocall Ireland

A TWEET WHICH was read out by Pat Kenny on RTÉ’s Frontline Presidential debate tonight, purportedly from Martin McGuinness’s official campaign account, was actually a fake.

The tweet said that McGuinness would be presenting a man at a press conference tomorrow who would claim that Seán Gallagher collected a €5,000 donation from him for Fianna Fáíl. This tweet came from an account called @McGuinness4Pres. However, McGuinness’s official campaign account – @Martin4Prez2011 – later confirmed that the tweet was not from them, and they have nothing to do with that account.

These were the tweets:

Frontline Gallagher tweet was from fake McGuinness campaign account
1 / 2
  • The fake account - and fake tweet

  • The official account - and official tweet

Yet the tweet – which was passed onto Pat Kenny by the show’s production team and put live to Seán Gallagher and Martin McGuinness – prompted further discussion of a claim that McGuinness had made that Gallagher had gone to a man’s house to collect a €5,000 donation for Fianna Fáil. McGuinness claimed that he had been told by a man that Gallagher had organised an event at a Crowne Plaza hotel three years ago, at which Taoiseach Brian Cowen appeared, and at which attendees were expected to donate €5,000. McGuinness said that the man he spoke to claimed that Gallagher had gone to his house and collected the €5,000 donation to Fianna Fáil in the form of a cheque.

Seán Gallagher admitted the event at the hotel had happened but said that he could not be sure if he had picked up a cheque. He mentioned that he might have picked up an envelope but had “no recollection” of a cheque being given to him.

When pressed further, Gallagher said he knew who the man was whom McGuinness was getting his information. He disparaged that man, saying he was a “fuel smuggler” and a criminal and had been “investigated by the Criminal Assets Bureau”.

Debate host Pat Kenny then asked why, if that was the case, had such a character been invited to a Fianna Fáil event.

The Gallagher presidential bid – which has seen him climb to the top of voter polls in the last week – took several hits this evening on the debate. He was also quizzed by a member of the audience on the €89,000 cheque that got lodged in his personal account “by accident”.

For the full story of what went on in tonight’s debate, take a look at our liveblog from the evening.

In full: TheJournal.ie’s coverage of the Race for the Áras>

Watch: How the candidates fared in TheJournal.ie’s Quickfire Video Quiz>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (78)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel

     

    Trending Tags