#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 6°C Thursday 27 January 2022
Advertisement

Gardaí, journalists and witnesses had Garda station phone calls recorded

Former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan sent the letter to Alan Shatter’s Department on 10 March, but Shatter says he didn’t see it until yesterday.

Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire

PHONE CONVERSATIONS BETWEEN gardaí and journalists, witnesses and other members of the force are among those that were recorded in Garda stations across the country.

RTÉ reports that former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan, who retired yesterday, sent a letter to Justice Minister Alan Shatter nearly two weeks ago.

In the the letter, Callinan explains that the Attorney General had been consulted four months ago and a working group established to look at the issue.

It goes on to explain that journalists seeking information, members of the gardaí and a witness in an investigation had had conversations recorded and held at Garda Stations.

The letter was sent on 10 March, five days before the Justice Minister went to Mexico. However, a spokesperson told TheJournal.ie that the Minister had only received the letter yesterday morning.

It was then brought to Cabinet, with the Government announcing that they had established a Commission of Investigation to look into the affair.

A Garda spokesperson told TheJournal.ie last night that: “In accordance Garda Siochána Act 2005, the Interim Garda Commissioner will provide a report on the matter to the Minister”.

The issue will be debated in the Dáil today, with Alan Shatter due to deliver a statement on the matter at 10.45.

Read: Govt reveals: Incoming and outgoing calls at Garda stations taped ‘since the 1980s’

Read: Shatter’s department told of recordings two weeks ago – but he only got the letter this morning

Catch up: Everything you need to know about GardaGate in one place >

Read next:

COMMENTS (33)