Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now

Student who 'ate glass in a pork chop' settles €60,000 personal injuries claim with Dunnes Stores

22-year-old Amy Houlden claimed she had cut the inside of her mouth on glass shards hidden in the chop’s marinade.

Image: Shutterstock

A 22-YEAR-OLD student, who cut her mouth when she chewed glass while eating a pork chop, has settled a €60,000 personal injuries claim against Dunnes Stores for an undisclosed sum.

In her claim for damages Amy Houlden, of Cromlech Fields, Ballybrack, Co Dublin, alleged she had been injured by glass concealed in a Mexican sauce that had been used to marinate the chops.

She stated in her Civil Bill against Dunnes Stores, Cornelscourt, Foxrock, Co Dublin, that her father, Sean Houlden, had on 12 September, 2013, bought the chops which had been packaged in a Mexican marinade.

They had remained in their packaging overnight in the family fridge before being cooked on Friday 13 September.

Ms Houlden claimed she had cut the inside of her mouth on shards of glass which had been concealed in the marinade.  At first she had felt something hard in her mouth, followed by pain.  She had taken little shards of glass from her mouth.

Afterwards she had been taken to St Colmcille’s Hospital, Loughlinstown, Co Dublin, where she had received a tetanus injection followed by an X-ray of her lungs.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

She had been told glass would not show up on the X-ray but any possible injuries caused by the glass would be revealed.  She was discharged from hospital with a warning to watch out for symptoms such as vomiting.  Later she developed a sore throat.

Barrister William Martin Smith, with Murphy’s Solicitors, told the court that following talks between the parties the case had been settled and could be struck out. Terms of the settlement were not publicly revealed in court.

Rebecca Lacy, counsel for Dunnes Stores Limited, had entered a full defence in the proceedings which were settled without admission of liability.

Read: Girl (5) awarded €17,500 after being moved to ‘harsh and abusive’ room in Dublin créche

Read: Denis O’Brien’s legal action against the Oireachtas is back in court today

About the author:

Ray Managh

Read next: