#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Thursday 28 January 2021
Advertisement

Nine people arrested for 'fraudulently benefitting from Grenfell fire'

The amounts involved range from £20,000 to £100,000.

Grenfell Tower on fire on 14 June 2017.
Grenfell Tower on fire on 14 June 2017.
Image: Natalie Oxford/PA Images

DETECTIVES INVESTIGATING THE fire at Grenfell Tower in London, in which 72 people died last year, have arrested nine people for fraud.

The arrests – of eight men and one woman – were made at addresses across London today.

In a statement the Metropolitan Police said all of the offences being investigated are linked to people who have fraudulently benefitted “through housing or allowances, by claiming to be victims of the fire”.

The amounts involved range from £20,000 (about €22,700) to £100,000 (about €114,000).

Speaking about the arrests, Detective Superintendent Matt Bonner, senior investigating officer, said: “It is completely unacceptable that people would seek to profit from such a human tragedy, and try and attach themselves to a community that they are not part of.

“Over the last 12 months I have met all the families whose loved ones died; many of the survivors and members of the local community from Grenfell.”

Spread of fire

In total, 193 officers and staff continue to work full-time on the “complex and large-scale investigation” into the cause and spread of the fire on 14 June 2017, the Met Police said.

Some 507 organisations have been identified as having a role in the construction, refurbishment and management of Grenfell Tower. Through ongoing investigative work police are focusing efforts on the 36 organisations who played the most significant part.

All onsite forensic examinations by police within Grenfell Tower have now concluded and specialists are carrying out a series of offsite reconstruction tests on elements of the building’s construction.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Commander Stuart Cundy, who is overseeing the Met Police response, said: “As we approach one year on since the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower, my thoughts are with all those so deeply affected by that night.

“This large and complex investigation remains a priority and we have made significant progress over the last year. We will continue to investigate fearlessly, as we move forward – all our officers and staff remain committed to carrying out a thorough investigation.”

Comments are closed due to ongoing legal proceedings.

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS