This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 16 °C Thursday 27 June, 2019
Advertisement

Homeless man hailed a hero after Manchester attack charged with stealing bank card at arena

Thousands were raised online for Chris Parker, who went to help victims in the wake of the attack.

People leave tributes to victims of the Manchester concert bomb attack
People leave tributes to victims of the Manchester concert bomb attack

A HOMELESS MAN who won praise for tending to victims of the Manchester terror attack in May has been charged with stealing a bank card at the arena on the night.

Chris Parker has been charged with two counts of theft, and will appear in court in relation to the crimes later today.

More than £50,000 was raised on a GoFundMe page to help the 33-year-old, after he ran to help the injured in the wake of the explosion.

He said he was in the foyer begging when the bomb went off.

Parker said he tended to a woman who died as he tried to comfort her.

“She passed away in my arms,” he told ITV. ”I haven’t stopped crying.

The most shocking part of it is that it was a kids’ concert.

The online fundraising page for Parker was set up by Michael Johns, who said he felt compelled to help “one of our most vulnerable in society who showed great selflessness and courage”.

In a statement from Greater Manchester Police, it is specifically stated that the man had been charged in relation to a bank card stolen on the night of the attack.

At the Ariana Grande concert in May, 22 people died after a suicide bomber set off an explosion at one of the arena exits at the close of the concert.

Seven of the victims were under 18-years-old.

Parker has been remanded to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court today.

Read: The homeless men who rushed to help the Manchester Arena victims

Read: Ireland’s terrorism threat assessment under continuous review following Manchester attack

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Sean Murray

Read next:

COMMENTS